The National Apprentice Week 2021, is a great opportunity to give a shout out to the Next Generation at McMenon – our apprentices Alanis Sanchez, Thomas Lewthwaite, James Dixon, Adam McKenzie, Scott Dunstan, Callum Gardiner, and Andrea Henry.
We at McMenon are inspired by our past and look up to the experienced generation, but equally I feel in today’s rapidly changing, technology-led, world we must also be looking up to the younger generation – they think differently, see things differently, and can do things in a way that the experienced – and I speak as a 44-year-old – can’t. In my view any business which does not want to have that thinking and capability in their team that the next generation offers is missing an important opportunity. If a young person has the right attitude, then we want to invest in them and help them develop. That’s our future.
Our Workington factory has a strong history of developing apprentices and trainees. In the last 20 years, it has had over 50 apprentices and trainees covering a wide range of technical and administration programmes with over 92% of the young people transitioning into long-term sustainable positions within the business. Our own production manager Richard Fell’s journey from an apprentice welder to a production manager and mentor is an inspirational success story. We are also committed to encouraging, developing, and investing in the leaders of tomorrow. McMenon colleagues Rachael Gorman, Adam Tubman, John Lucas, Jamie Graham and Craig Johnstone all started as apprentices. They have all fully embraced career development opportunities, have successfully completed leadership training programmes, and I am delighted to say they now all hold team leader positions at McMenon.
As founder and CEO of McMenon it’s important to me to create an organisation which is innovative, sustainable and progressive by continuing to invest in the next generation and building on the excellence and experience of a UK manufacturing mindset which has served the business so well over its 73-year heritage. At McMenon, we truly are Inspired by the past, motivated by the future!
- McMenon celebrates International Women in Engineering Day
- Awards success for Team McMenon
- McMenon back university's MBA Leadership Week
- McMenon feature in Sellafield PPP project video
- McMenon's growth plans accelerate with appointment of Global Sales Director
- McMenon delight at Sellafield PPP framework success
- McMenon eyes further growth in nuclear and renewables with senior appointment
- Experts manufacture pioneering flow meter technology
- Delight as McMenon collects two leading industry awards
- Leading Cumbrian engineering company celebrates its manufacturing heroes